Thursday, October 27, 2011

Observation of the MicroAquarium 2

Today at around 12 I went to observe the mircroaquarium. There was a lot of change from last week. Since last observation two food pellets ("Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%) were dropped in my microaquarium along with some more water. Near the surface of the water, where the pellets were dropped, there were thousands of little organisms swimming around near the pellets, such as rotifers and vortecella. When I looked near the bottom of the mircoaquarium, there was a cyclops which are much larger than most of the other organisms I observed today and last week. They move very fast; every time I would get a good look at it under the microscope it  would shoot across the screen. I also saw a mite in the middle of the microaquarium on a leaf of one of the plants. Another observation I made was that one of the bladders of a plant had trapped a nematode, which is a worm-like organism. I also observed a couple actinosphaerium, which looks like a sun, near the bottom of the microaquarium. Today there was a lot more movement and activity in the microaquarium and this could be due to the food pellets added.

No comments:

Post a Comment